Dementia Care Consultation:
- “What is mom’s stage of dementia? How much longer do you think she has?”
- “How do I get her to stop getting up at night? I’m worried she may leave the house.”
- “I lose my patience with my dad alot. He makes the same mistakes over and over again…No matter how many times I try to help him do things the right way, he just doesn’t get it…that’s when I lose my temper….I feel like a terrible son.”
- “ She can’t do the things she used to love. She was a baker…an artist..a teacher…now she just sits and watches TV….it’s so depressing.”
- “My wife hates to shower. She yells and tries to hit me. Am I supposed to just walk away? It’s my job to make sure she stays clean!”
Special Approaches and Programs: Most human beings are actually human-DOINGS. Being alive is more than having disease symptoms managed. Through our community partnerships and donor support we have developed several unique programs to provide meaningful engagement in living life.
A Fresh Canvas: An Alzheimer’s Arts Program: Art therapy, music therapy and dance-movement therapy are provided in our Senior Day Center through this grant-funded program.
Horticultural Therapy and Jessie’s Community Gardens:Care of the environment is a natural instinct, and with our stand up gardens on our dementia unit, the sensory garden on the south side of the building and our Jessie’s Community Garden project, we enjoy the act of gardening and giving to others. Our Senior Day Center clients grow produce to make home made food, and donate extra crop to the food pantry at Jewish Family Services.
Support Groups or Community Events and Information
FOR OTHER EVENTS, VISIT OUR COMMUNITY CALENDAR AT www.agingcareacademy.org.